Everyone here in Seoul has been so helpful. I can’t even begin to express the joy that I have experienced being surrounded by fellow co-workers who love the Lord Jesus, who have a heart for the nations, and who have moved far away from the familiar in order to minister to students from many different nations and walks of life. It is such a treat to begin each work day praying, worshipping, and studying God’s word together as a faculty/staff. Jesus has been and is the one thing that has joined a group of diverse individuals together. How amazing HE is!
So much has happened since my arrival, and so much has been discovered. Here are a few things that I’ve learned about Korea(Seoul)/Koreans as I’ve explored this huge city:
1. Koreans are or can be fairly tall! Much to the dismay of many of you girls (you know who you are), I do not tower over all of the menfolk! Nor do I or can I easily throw them over my shoulders!!;) haha
2. Life without a car, air conditioning, Internet access, and a cell phone is possible! I did get a cell phone (Friday, 8/1), and I finally have working air conditioning as of last night (Monday, 8/4). I have Internet access from work for now. As far as a car is concerned, I am thankful that I do not have one in this chaotic city. I have successfully journeyed on foot and by bus, taxi, and subway! All I can say is thank heavens that my foot modeling contract expired before I left the US. My former foot agent would probably drop dead if he saw my feet at this point---swollen with multiple blisters, cuts, calluses, and bites!
3. The US military base here in Seoul is humongous and has more Koreans on campus than US military men/women/families.
4. This is definitely the technology capital of the world. A few examples: Some waitresses take your order on electronic palm pilots. Some cab drivers allow you to pay with electronic subway/bus cards. Security cameras in gas stations/grocery stores are viewed on flat screens. Cell phones work EVERYWHERE---there are no dead spots even underground! On church Sunday, my friend had us get out and then he pulled his car into an elevator type room and got out. The elevator door shut and took his car underground where it was carried by a conveyor belt to a parking space in an underground parking lot across the street. When people ring my doorbell, their faces appear on a screen in my house. I can talk to them and unlock the door from the screen. CRAZY!
5. I am not a skilled mountain/rock climber or hiker. I tried hiking to the top of this mountain. On the way up, I fell forward and skinned my hand as I caught myself on a rock. On the way down, I slipped and almost fell like three times and then I finally did about 50 yards from the bottom of the mountain. I busted hard, and apparently missed hitting my tailbone on this huge root by about 1 inch. I muddied my shorts and camera, cut my hand again, jammed my middle finger, and bruised my pride! haha I have turned into Katie Jo, Jr., if that’s even possible.
Me, Abby, and Beth resting on our hike.

Getting toward the bottom. Right before my crash.
6. There are some strange/hilarious things written in English around town. I'll post some examples later, but here is my favorite! I felt like Snoop Dog was going to appear from around the corner.

5 comments:
I am so excited about everything for you! We miss you tremendously. I made a mistake and let Michaela see a pic of you on here so the whole time I was reading the post she was yelling "more Audie!!!" Anyways, I love you and will email you soon.
Audie I have been praying for you and your adventure. I can't imagine all the emotions you must be feeling!
Good luck with everything!
AUDIE! I miss you so much! It is so good to read about everything on your blog. We started back to school, and it just doesn't feel the same! Love ya, girl!
Hey Audie. So glad to find your blog! We have your prayer-reminder magnet on our frig, but the blog updates will give us more specifics of how to pray for you.
Be blessed today!
Mel
ps There are some pics of our flying trip with your dad on my facebook!
Audie,
I am so glad that everything is going well for you, but I really miss you here. :) Still praying for you. Love you!
Post a Comment