Now, there is a title I would never have imagined writing 2 years ago! I love my deep southern roots and thoroughly enjoyed growing up there. One thing that I have always loved about "home" (Foley, Alabama) is the fact that our house was conveniently located in an area with lots of fresh air and wide open spaces but close enough to "town" (namely Wal-mart and shopping centers), as well as to bigger cities such as Pensacola and Mobile. Drive in one direction and enjoy the endless miles of country roads with clear blue skies, random farm animals, and greenery, hop on a 4-wheeler for a little muddin' or off roadin' adventure, or jump in the plane for an awesome aerial view of Alabama coastline and country. Maybe even land the plane in a random field or grass strip somewhere. Drive in another direction and hit the interstate for a fun road trip cross country or to the nearest big city for some culture. We weren't real country folk, living in the boon docks, but there was a nice country, small town feel to life in Alabama. We also lived a short drive from one of my favorite places...the beach!! After living in 5 states (practically 6---a couple of miles from TN for 3 years), 2 countries, and visiting close to 15 nations, I am still proud to call south Alabama home! After all, Momma and Daddio are still there, so they make it home!
With all of that typed, it's crazy to think about the LORD calling me to a super huge city across the planet! I remember visiting New York City in college, and while there, thinking, "Who in their right mind would CHOOSE to live in a city of this size? Look at all the people, the busyness, the grime, the polution...utter chaos with no time to think straight or in quietness." God is quite comedic in taking note of the things that we think or say we would or could never do. I am now living in a city that is smaller than New York City area-wise but larger population-wise by over 2 million people. Talk about crowds and busyness! And I mustn't forget to mention the SMELLS here. OH MY STARS! I do not believe the smells will ever be erased from my memory! haha When I first got here and was trying to get used to public transportation---taxis, buses, and subways---and life with no car, I just kept reminding myself that God was with me. I didn't have to like public transportation or the smells. I just had to love God and love people!!
It hasn't even been 2 years since then, and it is so weird (divinely ordained weirdness I'm sure)---I love life in the city. There, I typed it! I feel like a traitor, but it feels good to be able to say that! God has allowed me to find things that I love about being in the city. Seoul, apart from not having my amazing family here, has sort of become home for me. It's been years since I've been able to say that! I love being able to slap a backpack on and WALK whereever I want to go. If I'm tired or want to venture further, I can easily access 1 of 3 public transportation means. Then, when I get where I'm going, I don't have to park. If I'm lost, which happens, I can just jump on the subway or in a taxi and somehow end up back at someplace familiar. From there, I can either try again or go home! Man, have I seen some crazy people, unique people, interesting people, friendly people, rude people, entertaining people---LOTS of people from LOTS of places and backgrounds. If I'm hungry, I can pretty much pick a country and find authentic cuisine from that part of the world right around the corner. If I'm not feeling motivated to work at home, I can venture over to one of 100s of coffee shops and join the masses, yet work productively in peace. And, yes, I even eat at restaurants ALONE from time to time. It's not even that weird or out of the ordinary in the big city. There are some nice outdoor places to be found, too! The blue skies are few and far between, however!
God has revealed HIMself to me again through his creativity...especially where people are concerned. In a city with millions of faces...no 2 look the same! God is awesome! Here lately as I prepare to move back to the States, I have been amazed by feelings of happiness and anticipation while at the same time experiencing feelings of---I don't know the right word(s)---maybe sadness (not really) or uncertainty. I'm gonna miss life here as I know it! I am confident that God has great things in store and am very much looking forward to marriage and life with Aaron!
I guess that from this I can learn that home is where the LORD puts or carries or calls us! Basically, it's where HE is! If HE directs us somewhere, even if it's uncomfortable or undesireable or strange or just "not for us," GOD can settle us and create a sense of security and thankfulness that only comes when we abandon ourselves to HIS keeping and trust in HIM for joy and contentment! I can't wait to see where HE directs me next. As long as HE is there, I know I'll enjoy it! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You have brought me much peace today friend.
I sympathize with every word of this. I love love love love love to look at the people and see how creative God is, and to look at all the technology and engineering around and think of how cool it is that he lets us have an inkling of creativity ourselves. Amazing.
I haven't read your blog in awhile. God must have directed me here; this has certainly given me peace today. Thank you.
Post a Comment