Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Descriptive Paragraph about "Ms. Van Dyke"

Last week we started talking about descriptive paragraphs and essays in class. Well, it's a little sad when you're the "new teacher" and your present students like you, but they LOVE last year's teacher. When I gave them the assignment of writing a descriptive essay, I wasn't surprised to find that several of them were writing about their teachers from 4th grade. What I did not realize until I was grading the papers tonight was that one of my students, fresh to Korea from California, wrote about me. I found it amusing, especially the line that I will write in bold print. I hope those of you who know me best will enjoy this!

"Ms. Van Dyke is our witty 5th grade teacher. Her tall, slender form glides across the room as her green eyes look intently at us. We may be working on school work as Ms. Van Dyke starts a story. MS. VAN DYKE IS A 26 YEAR OLD, AMERICAN PROFESSIONAL STORY TELLER. Sometimes, she wears a long-sleaved, red sweater with gray pants. As if that isn't dazing enough, her hair is a dark blond with brown and golden streaks!"

So, I'm not quite sure what "dazing enough" means, and I don't own any gray pants. I'm also not sure if I've ever glided across any floor, stumbled or tripped maybe. However, I'm loving the title she gave me (all except the age of course)---Ms. Van Dyke, American Professional Storyteller! It has a nice ring to it. I don't really know where that came from either, because we all know that I NEVER TELL STORIES, especially not while working in the classroom. Now that I know that at least one 5th grader thinks of me as a professional---not teacher but storyteller---the future does not seem that scary with no opportunities beyond teaching! I think my next career should be full-time storytelling! It sounds a lot less stressful and demanding than the one I'm in now. Hmmm, maybe I could be a traveling storyteller?!? Oh the possibilities! It's amazing the ideas that one simple paragraph can stir up! Have a great week and be blessed!

6 comments:

Stephanie Kelley said...

You could always take Mother Goose's place one day!:)

heatherclardy said...

Hilarious! I miss your stories Audie love.

Audie said...

No I could not take Mother Goose's place one day! 1st of all, I do NOT dress up. 2nd of all, I do NOT play instruments. Lastly, and most importantly, Mother Goose makes me want to shoot myself. I could NOT do that to others or to myself!

Sara Whitten, Brian, Lilly and Walt said...

Audie, I miss you! I love your blog it keeps me going. Hang in there and know that your work is not in vain! Love you so much!
Sara Whit

Anonymous said...

that kid obviously knows the real audie...professional story teller is as accurate a description as I have ever heard...take it from the one you used to practice your story telling at midnight when I wanted to sleep

Audie said...

You know you miss those bedtime stories! They put you to sleep just like a singing momma puts her baby to sleep! However, I didn't intend for my stories to knock you out. It would have been nice to have an attentive audience. When I make it big as a Professional Storyteller, I'll give you partial credit for enduring 4 years of listening to me as I perfected the art of my profession!=)