There are so many things that have brought smiles to my face lately. They range from seemingly insignificant things that my students or others have said to significant realizations that I've had about who God is and what HE is capable of doing. In between smiles, I have had a furrowed brow and heavy heart at times over the past few weeks. It's quite wonderful how those heavier issues that haven't been as pleasant have served as beautiful backgrounds for the lovelier things in life. The important things shine oh so much brighter when dropped against a dim background. I think that God works through the tough patches in life so that the truly wonderful things in life can radiate and take center stage! Let me just say that the positives have far outweighed and outshown the negatives when placed side by side!
Let me share a few silly things that have made me smile lately:
1. Thinking about random things that have happened over the years with my sisters, mom, and dad have made me laugh to myself at the most awkward times lately. I mean, I'll be walking down the hall or the street or eating by myself in a restaurant (something I said I'd never do) and think about something from the past and some cheesey grin will invade my face. Sometimes, I'll even giggle or roll my eyes as if my family member is there in front of me. How weird is that?!? PSYCHO! Even so, I praise God for great memories and odd family members! haha
2. "Dear Miss Van Dyke, happy Valentine's Day! I hope Jesus will help you find a man with a Christ-like attitude. From, Albert Einstein" He is alive, and apparently I teach him!---Scary!
3. There is a pizza place I visit way too often. I love the owners but have never really even talked to them. The Lord has really given me burden for them. Since I cannot speak Korean fluently, it's been hard to form a relationship with them. However, I'm a consistent customer, and it's amazing how much I've been able to communicate through smiles, nodding of the head, and choppy phrases. Their daughter has been working a few times when I've gone in. She is in middle school. Anyway, I thought she might be a good way to communicate with them. She's studying English but knows very little. The last time she was there, she sat down next to me and just stared at me while I waited for my pizza. I decided to test her English out. She did pretty well. Her mom immediately began to use her as an interpreter. "What do you do? Where are you from? How old are you? Why are your eyelashes so long? (That was sort of asked in a Cherades type of manner.)" All of a sudden the girl got stumped with a word. Finally she began to sing, "Dum Dum du dum. Dum du du dum." I immediately began to smile, and the little girl turned red with embarrassement. "Are you married?" in the form of a song!! Other customers were watching at this point. Needless to say, I taught them the word "married" that day. I'm praying that I'll be able to break through the communication barriers and get to know them some how. They work super hard and are so "happy" and kind.
4. This quarter, I have "ramp" duty, which is basically elementary recess detention. The kids who are in trouble have to walk up and down this really long, tall ramp for 15 min. before they can play. Today, there was a rather large group of students, so I had to put on my serious face, go over the rules of the ramp, and line them up. While I was giving instructions, I heard this quiet voice from the back of one of the lines, "Did you hear her? She sounds like a cowboy. You remember that cowboy movie. Listen to her." A little first grade girl was at the end of the line amazed by my accent. She was also breaking rule #1: NO TALKING! Her little comment cracked me up, especially since some random boy came up to me before Christmas and said, "Why do you talk like a cowboy?" Both times, it gave me reason to smile!!
5. This is for my family...I was telling a story with the word "grandma" in it. My students started laughing and imitating the way I pronounce that word---GRUMMAW! They kept having me repeat it, and then several of them asked if they could call their grandmas "grummaw." Mom and sisters, I guess I do say it a little different than normal. I believe you now after many conversations and criticisms about the way I pronounce this word.
6. My precious student that I've been praying for concerning her salvation wrote on the bottom of one of her Bible journal responses, "How to become a Christian?" Still praying about the right time and right way to meet with her specifically for the purpose of finding out where she is spiritually. We've had informal discussions in class since her question about salvation. Just trusting in Jesus for this sweet one's salvation brings a smile to my face and joy to my heart!
7. Several students from the classes that do not teach Bible, many from non-Christian backgrounds, have been asking to read the Bible and have been fascinated by it. They've been asking lots of questions. Praise God! May HE work through HIS word in ways that teachers of those classes may not be at liberty to.
8. I've been exhausted lately. Today I actually had a little energy, which has been absent from my life over the past few weeks due to stress and health issues. I was so happy to feel rested when I woke up this morning! Definitely a reason to smile!! May I continue to depend on Christ in order to find rest and feel rested!
Hope this finds you with reason to smile!
"Oh taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who trusts in HIM." Ps. 34:8
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
what a sweet, sweet post... and now I have more to pray for....
Please email me your address when you get a chance...
Audie, I enjoyed reading this post! I'm glad God is so evident in your life right now! I had to laugh at the reference to "talking like a cowboy" and saying "grummaw". Who'da thunk a southern accent would be noticed in Korea??
Audie,
Your posts definitely make me smile, especially this one. :)
Love,
Leigha
Post a Comment