This morning at staff devotionals, a guest shared with us. I felt more energized and challenged by her words. She started off sharing about some ducks at Sea World in CA who've been trained to roller skate. One man commented after observing the skating ducks, "Well, they're skating, but their hearts certainly aren't in it." Basically, the ducks are going through the motions, but passion for skating is lacking. She connected this analogy to Christians "doing" their ministries. Many of us are "skating" out of a love for Christ. We're purposefully going through the motions and are driven by a great passion for the LORD. We can't wait to do our ministries! Others of us, however, are "skating" just because we're supposed to or just because it's what we've been doing. We are lacking the right motivation and the passion to live for Jesus. We are going through the motions in a way that is meaningless.
I got to evaluating my life and my situation here in Korea. Do I perform my job out of duty or habit, or am I working as to the LORD in order to fulfill the ministry that HE's called me to? Do I view each day as "just another day," or do I view it as another wonderful opportunity to testify to the goodness and greatness of God? Am I just going through the motions, or am I intentional about the things I say and do in order to honor and glorify Christ? Do I live each day remembering the faithfulness of the LORD in the past, or do I forget HIS proven faithfulness and rush through life?
If I'm honest, after being a child of the KING for about 21 years now, it's easy for me to fall into the "meaningless motions" category. I know the right things to do and say. I know how to appear to be a good, little Christian on the outside. However, sometimes my words and deeds are not done out of purposeful passion for Christ Jesus, my blessed Lord and Savior. How, I wonder, can someone like myself, who's witnessed the graciousness and faithfulness of such an amazing God, who's testified of HIS faithfulness throughout the years, lose sight of the very reason I'm alive and the very purpose God has called me to? How can I merely go through the motions of life and fail to be motivated by One so loving who's given me life?
I left morning devotions today challenged and contemplative. What a blessing it is to be a child of the KING and to wake up daily knowing that there is purpose for my life! What a privilege to be able to testify to the supremacy and faithfulness of God through my words and actions! I am so glad that my motions can be purposeful and driven by my passion for the LORD. Just something to think about.
Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."
Colossians 3:23 "And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the LORD and not to men,"
I Corinthians 10:31 "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God."
I'm so glad that God reminds us of the things that matter. Knowing that there is a specific purpose for each day of my life---to glorify God---makes getting up in the morning, going to work, and carrying out my duties as I interact with others so much more exciting and worthwhile. I pray that you too will be challenged to do a little evaluating of your own life! Remembering the joy that comes when we fix our eyes on Jesus and determine to live in and for HIM kind of makes me feel new like I've been given a fresh start.
I'll leave you all with picture of the "new" cherry blossoms at the font of our campus. Having 4 seasons and watching them change has been a blessing here in Seoul. I love the South, but I never got the pleasure of watching the seasons metamorphosize. Absolutely breathtaking! Maybe God can transform this somewhat wintery season of my life into something new and beautiful!

1 comment:
Thanks so much for sharing that Audie. I think we all need a little evaluation sometimes. :)
Post a Comment