Before we left Korea, the school held a joint commissioning service for all 8 teams. We broke into mixed small groups to pray for each other.
We went with 4 other groups on the Night Safari at the Singapore Zoo! Here we are having fun. Can you pick the 5 teachers out? I didn't think so!
This is the ferry we rode from Harbor Front Ferry Terminal to Batam, Indonesia. It was about an hour long ride.
My friend Julie and I sneaked out of the exhaust-filled ferry to get some fresh air. We got "caught" later and sadly went back inside for the rest of the journey. I guess we were supposed to stay with our groups! OOPS!
At the boat "terminal" in Batam. We rode in these fine boats for 2 hours to Telunas Beach.
Our fabulous home for the week!! I highly recommend vacationing here. The staff is amazing and the resort gorgeous!
Break time on the beach! I had life guarding duty while the students and other adults played some Ultimate Frisbee.
Through the jungle our girlies went! We had a guide at the front pointing out different things and sharing survival tips. Very interesting! We also had a native survivalist bringing up the rear on our tour---5Ks to the falls and 5Ks back out. Our girls did amazing! It rained for about an hour, which cleared the feasting mosquitos out for the first part of the trip but made the trip back pretty rough with tons of thick, red clay/mud and more hungry mosquitos! My shoes were covered in about 4 inches of mud. I completely walked out of them several times and then proceeded to "ski" through the mud. Talk about a workout!! I had a huge, disgusting blister to show for my effort! My camera only worked for like 10 min. the whole trip, so I was unable to capture everything I wanted to on film. However, I have some amazing friends who willingly took tons of pics for me.
My "family" at the falls. The water was black. The shallow area we're in almost looked like Iodine. It was super cold water though so very refreshing! Many of the girls jumped from the rocky cliffs. My legs were so swollen and felt as if they'd explode. I didn't trust my clumsy self to rock climb and jump from slippery edges!
We ran into some termites along the way. Just pick 'em up, squeeze 'em, and eat 'em! I did eat one just to participate in the survival process. Kind of bitter! Disclaimer: All termites are not edible. Well, I guess they all could be edible, but they're not all safe to eat!Mud on the Face: my attempt to feel at home and just for fun;
I look tough don't I?
We went to 2 schools on different islands to do community service projects. At both schools, some students prepared a welcoming dance, and the heads of school and local government officials came out to welcome us with an informal ceremony! The photo above is the welcome dance from the first school---an elementary school. The girls taught the children English, and the boys did some tough, manual labor digging and building a retaining wall behind the school.
Kristen and I with several of the precious students. In Indonesia, the students go to school Monday through Saturday for half a day. There are over 500 tribal languages on the islands of Indonesia. Student learn their tribal language at home, Bahasa Indonesia (national language) in elementary school, and English in different doses throughout their education. By the time they are in college, they are trilingual! Amazing!
Welcome dance at the second school---a middle school. Half of our group taught English and the other half painted an athletic court.My group went to 2 new schools this year---new to our group that is. We are not allowed to verbally share the Lord with these people unless they ask us a question. However, we shared Jesus with them through our service and actions.
Our group of 87 was able to visit 6 schools and donate computers and school supplies to each one. The LORD really opened up some doors and is beginning to break down some barriers at the schools that have been visited every year by our team. Strong relationships have been built, and the schools and islands are very encouraged by our service and desire to come back. My prayer is that the LORD will continue to pave the way and that HIS light and hope will one day reach the hearts of those who were encountered on our trip, bringing HIS salvation to a dark, dry, and thirsty land.
This trip was an awesome reminder of what a wonderful Creator we have! I can't describe to you how HE revealed Himself to me through HIS creation, whether it be the thick, vast greenery and plant life of Singapore; the endless waters of Indonesia; the numerous islands with majestic mountains and breathtaking beaches; the unique faces, skin colors, accents, and backgrounds of our group members and the people of the countries we toured (no two people looked the same); the amazing animals we encountered in the jungle, in our rooms, and at the zoo; the warmth and brightness of the sun; or the sound of the thunder and waves at night during the storm. All of those things and many more are specific testimonies of the greatness and power of our GOD!
God is definitely alive and at work in the lives of many of our students. It was so neat to meet with them for times of prayer, praise, and Bible study right in the midst of God's magnificent creation. It was encouraging to hear their hearts for the nations and to hear how they're growing in their walks with the LORD. There were several students on this trip that openly admitted they were not believers. However, I'm praying that their lives will never be the same after what they experienced on this trip. God's word never returns void, HIS beautiful creativity is undeniable, and HE will make Himself known to each one.
Thanks to those of you who prayed for and encouraged me throughout my preparation for this trip and as I was gone! What a mighty God we serve! He loves each of us so much! May you see the hand of God through HIS creation this week!
Love and prayers to you from Seoul!!
"In the beginning GOD created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1
+079.jpg)
+090.jpg)
+120.jpg)

+130.jpg)
+132.jpg)
+136.jpg)
+179.jpg)
+183.jpg)





3 comments:
Loved the pics!!! What a neat trip!
Loved the update. We got the postcard. Michaela absolutely loves it. Quote from her, "Thank you, Audie. I love it. It is beautiful. Thank you, Audie for my card, it is wonderful,....." SHe went on an on for a long time about how it was hers and not mine from Aunt Audie. Anyways, thanks for thinking about her, she really felt special. Love you and hope to talk to you soon.
I'm glad she liked it! I thought it was funny, and since she likes "dodos," I figured she might like it, too! I should send stuff more often!=) Love you!
Post a Comment