Monday, August 24, 2009

"He Who Glories, Let Him Glory in the LORD!!"

"That, as it is written, 'He who glories, let him glory in the LORD.'"
I Corinthians 1:31
I was blown away by something that a student of mine handed in for his writing assignment. After reading a story about Wilma Rudolph, world famous American runner, the kids had to write a paragraph about a goal they've had in the past and how they accomplished that goal. Like most of the examples I gave when assigning the writing, most of the finished products I received were focused on academic and athletic achievements. Some of the students did give credit to God for helping them reach their goals, but I found the topic that one precious student chose as his achievement gripping and convicting. We were just talking about boasting in the LORD in our elementary faculty morning devotions last week and how it is always good to remember the ways in which God has been strength in our weakest areas and how HE's enabled us to overcome those areas at times and even achieve great things for HIS glory.
I was so encouraged to read what one of my students felt like was a paper-writing-worthy achievement. I've copied it below:
"My grandfather was not a Christian before I became a 2nd grader. Today, he believes in the LORD. This started when I asked him what he believed in. He answered what I didn't expect, something else but not God. So I told him about everything I learned from my teachers. He still did not understand me, so I just let him borrow a Bible from me. He learns about God, but I also learn too. As a result, today we talk about God together and learn from each other and discover verses together."
Praise God that this little one cared enough to talk to his grandfather about Jesus! It has made quite an impression on my dear student, b/c he was in 2nd grade three years ago. Honestly, most of the students produced pretty boring and poorly written paragraphs about winning a race at recess or getting a good grade on a particular test. There is nothing wrong with being happy with those everyday accomplishments, but I'm so blessed to have had this student who carefully considered what he thought to be a wonderful accomplishment and to look beyond last year. I'm challenged to eagerly share Jesus with others or at least find out where they are spiritually, and then, when God does something wonderful, to glory/boast in the LORD and share it with others.

1 comment:

Michael and Rebecca said...

Praise the Lord for this little jewel! We can learn so much from children:)

I often think about the work you're doing and I am thankful for you and your team in South Korea. May God raise up a generation there to take His gospel to the nations!!