Sunday, May 9, 2010

Who is Ms. Van Dyke?

Poetry has been our area of concentration in writing over the past couple of weeks. Last week, we ended with Definition Poetry. One of my students wrote the poem below. Things like this are rare treasures in teaching, and it's always fun to read how you're described.
As was the case last year, sometimes students make formal writing a bit more flowery than reality would prove. However, it made me smile. And trust me, this student let me know the good, the BAD, and the UGLY thoughts they've had and the words that they've spoken about me at different times this year. Unfortunately, not all of them were quite as warm or humorous as the sentiments below are! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at their comments earlier! I'm for real. I decided to just get over them knowing that I've done my best to be the teacher that God has called me to be this year. Not everyone can love you at all times, and sometimes teacher decisions and life will seem unfair to 5th graders! That's life...it's nothing personal, right? I can't believe the year is almost over! The time flew by!! :)

Who is Ms. Van Dyke?
An energetic teacher
A crazy woman
A servant of God
A forgiving 5th grade teacher
A dramatical actor
A loving sister
A wonderful, caring daughter
A fast talker (1 second =5 words)
A warm hearted present from God
A truly lovely teacher
That is Ms. Van Dyke!

No comments: