The cousins minus Steve (Scott, Katie Jo, Brian, Heather, and Me)This past week my family went to Michigan for a mini family reunion with my mom's side of the family. It was one long road trip with Mom, Dad, and Grandma Jessie---18 hours there and 18 hours back! I think I prefer flying. Anyway, it was a great time shared with family, and I was able to say goodbye to my Yankee relatives. =) It was kind of strange saying goodbye for the next 2 years to cousins that I haven't seen in like 4 years. It's crazy how busy our lives are and how quickly time flies. I think that we should make slowing down and spending quality time with those we love a priority. I was glad to be able to hang out with my Grandma Ruth and be her roommate, too. She did well for the most part and even got out in the yard with her cane to play Botchy Ball (I so butchered the spelling of that). I was so thrilled to finally be able to see my cousin Scott's twins. They are so precious and absolutely lovable. That was a huge blessing to spend some time with them before heading overseas. It was good to see A. Sandi, U. Ed, and A. Sally, too!!
It was also good to be able to visit my parents' old stomping grounds at Oakland University and to hear stories of their college days and to finally see the bridge and lake where my my mom chased my dad down when he tried to avoid crossing paths with her in a day when he was shy around and intimidated by attractive young women. The story is quite humorous and even funnier when you are able to visually see the place where the whole thing went down.
We three sisters were able to walk through the university's athletic hall of fame with Dad and see pictures of some of the men that he swam with on the swim team. We also got to walk through the hallways that lead to the new pool and lockerrooms. They are covered with huge pictures of athletes who've participated on Oakland's swim and dive teams over the years. And who do you think made the wall???---None other than our dear ole dad! The funny thing is is that when we got down to all of the murals Dad was nowhere to be found until we turned a corner and he said, "Let's see who can find Dad the fastest!" At this point Katie Jo is laughing and squealing, "OH MY GOSH---IT'S AUDIE! Dad, you look just like Audie." I do admit it was hilarious---kind of freaky, too. Can you pick me, I mean him, out in the picture above?
Needless to say, the trip was fun. If I can survive in a car for 18 hours, then I can surely survive the flight from Houston to Tokyo. We can start praying for the legs and diabetes now. We can also start praying for the person who has to sit next to me (especially on the flight from Pensacola to Houston)---I'm sure I'll be emotional to say the least! Well, hopefully I'll get into this blogging thing. So far, I haven't been too efficient! More to come later!
We three sisters were able to walk through the university's athletic hall of fame with Dad and see pictures of some of the men that he swam with on the swim team. We also got to walk through the hallways that lead to the new pool and lockerrooms. They are covered with huge pictures of athletes who've participated on Oakland's swim and dive teams over the years. And who do you think made the wall???---None other than our dear ole dad! The funny thing is is that when we got down to all of the murals Dad was nowhere to be found until we turned a corner and he said, "Let's see who can find Dad the fastest!" At this point Katie Jo is laughing and squealing, "OH MY GOSH---IT'S AUDIE! Dad, you look just like Audie." I do admit it was hilarious---kind of freaky, too. Can you pick me, I mean him, out in the picture above?
Needless to say, the trip was fun. If I can survive in a car for 18 hours, then I can surely survive the flight from Houston to Tokyo. We can start praying for the legs and diabetes now. We can also start praying for the person who has to sit next to me (especially on the flight from Pensacola to Houston)---I'm sure I'll be emotional to say the least! Well, hopefully I'll get into this blogging thing. So far, I haven't been too efficient! More to come later!



1 comment:
Audie,
I just love hearing stories about your precious family! They are hilarious. I would love to hear the story about your mom and dad when your mom chased your dad. I am glad that you have that time with your family. I will start praying now for your very long flight, but I know that God will take care of you! :) I miss you!!
Post a Comment