Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Field Trips, Fun Times, and Fitting Lessons

On September 11th, the whole elementary school went on a field trip to the Korean War Memorial and Museum. Outside of the museum, there are all sorts of planes, tanks, and other vehicles. That part is free of charge, and the kids were able to climb inside the vehicles and walk around them. There was this one tank that was moving back and forth making ammunition noises. Of course the kids (especially the boys) were falling out on the pavement pretending that they'd been shot down. I know that war and death is not funny, but it was quite entertaining to watch them, especially since all of them quickly rose in order to "die" again. It was wild! The museum was 3 stories and told the history of Korea and all its wars in chronological order. It also allowed the students an opportunity to try on gas masks and experience some of the past consequences of trouble between North and South Korea.Three of my students trying out the gas masks! That grosses me out. I did not put one of those on my head. They went into a room that filled with gas!

The vehicular mall outside the museum!

Inside the museum.
Before we toured the museum, almost 400 students and teachers made pottery outside and ate lunch under the planes. I have never made pottery, and let me just say there is lots of room for practice! I was just telling someone how the LORD surely is 'molding' me as I serve HIM over here. It got me thinking while I was molding my clay. God has a very important, intricate job as HE shapes HIS children. I believe it must be frustrating too at times when we people of clay do not easily fold into the design that HE desires to shape us. It made me aware of the fact also that fingerprints aren't easily left off of the "pottery." My prayer is that the fingerprints of God would be found on me. I pray that I will submit to the Potter, so that I can be exactly what HE wants me to be. I know HE's had to before and will have to again, but I pray that I won't have to be "flattened out," cut at, and pressed in order to be moldable. I pray that I'd be cooperative as HE cuts at the raw edges and smooths those rough parts out of me, so that HE alone may be glorified in my life. When others look at me, may they see a work of art that can only be explained by and credited to the Master Artist!
My students eating lunch under the jet! I don't even remember which US model this is!

With that said, you can join me in praying that I will be readily available to HIS molding. I have faced some very tough issues internally over the past few weeks and am confident that they are issues that the LORD wants to deal with and must before I can be further molded into HIS image and used for HIS glory. It's those issues closest to my heart that are toughest to let go of and to even admit to myself, others, and even God. May I learn quickly to leave them at the foot of the cross and trust in the faithfulness of the ONE who conquered death on that cross!
Be encouraged by the lyrics to Darlene Zschech's song "Potter's Hands:"
Beautiful Lord, Wonderful Saviour,
I know for sure, all of my days are
held in your hands, crafted into your perfect plan.
You gently call me into your presence,
guiding me by Your Holy Spirit.
Teach me, dear Lord,
to live all of my life through Your eyes.
I'm captured by Your holy calling.
Set me apart. I know you're drawing me to yourself.
Lead me, Lord, I pray.
Take me, mold me,
use me, fill me
I give my life to the Potter's hand.
Call me, guide me,
lead me, walk beside me.
I give my life to the Potter's hand.

Potters in the making!

No comments: