We took our 5th grade students to Everland Theme Park for their end-of-elementary-school celebration. I was in charge of a group of 5 girls. Everland is the home of the world's steepest wooden roller coaster, T-Express, as I've mentioned in a previous posting. Anyway, 2 of the 5 girls didn't really like roller coaster rides and kept saying that they weren't going to ride the T-Express. I remember times that I was afraid or nervous of rides when I was growing up, but somehow, I always ended up loving them when I'd go on them. So being the good teacher that I am, I told the girls that they should all ride the T-Express. I told the 2 that were afraid that I was sure they'd probably love it if they'd just try it out. I even told them that it wasn't really that scary. Well, they were nervous the whole hour long wait. One of them kept saying, "Miss Van Dyke, I really don't think I should do this. I'm afraid of heights. All the signs say not to ride it if you're afraid of heights."
I kept assuring her of how fun it was going to be. I also told her she could handle it and would probably enjoy it. I did, however, say, "If you don't want to ride, now's the last chance to get out of it," when we got to the carts. The other little girl was kind of starting to get freaked out, too.
We all got buckled in and ready to ride, when one of my girls said, "Miss Van Dyke, I don't want to ride this. Can I get off?" About that time, the train of cars began to move forward. As we ascended to the top, she began to panic and bursted into tears. I was 2 carts in front of her, so I turned around to try to calm her down before the 70-something degree drop that was quickly approaching. There was a Korean lady who could speak English behind her, and she tried to console her and let her know it was going to be alright. When we reached the top of our ascent and as the carts were leveling out before the drop, my bottom began to sting. I was like, "Holy cow. It feels like a bee or wasp is stinging me on the butt." Between trying to console her and preparing myself for the steep drop, I pulled some sort of stinging bug off my pants and threw it out of the cart.
We rode the ride, and unfortunately, it was a bit scarier than I had remembered. The whole time I was thinking, "Those 2 girls are going to kill me. What was I thinking encouraging them to ride such an intense ride when they don't like roller coasters? And, man, my butt stings something awful."
When we got off the ride, those 2 girls were in a state of shock and kind of breathing heavy. The one who was crying at the top said that she hated the main drop, but the rest of it was kind of fun. The other little girl who was scared said it was the "worst things she'd ever experienced in her whole entire life!" I told them I was sorry for suggesting they ride it, but not to worry or be too mad at me, because God had sent a bee to sting me on the butt as punishment.=) They enjoyed those words!;) I have no clue what stung me, but I look as if I've had a shot in my bottom. Whatever it was stung me through my pants and underpants!
So, what does Daddy have to do with this? When I was under the age of 5, my family went to a waterpark with a couple of other families. While at the park, I decided to copy a friend of mine and refused to ride any rides acting scared and timid. My dad kept saying, "Audie, you'll love it. Remember you rode slides last time we came?!" Finally Daddy picked me up, carried me to the top of a slide (which I still remember today---23 years or so later) as I protested, placed me on the mat, and pushed me down the slide. What do you think I did after that? I repeatedly rode that slide and others for the remainder of the afternoon much to my enjoyment!
Well, my day at the amusement park didn't work out so nicely, but I think secretly my girls were proud that they rode the T-Express. They sure were telling stories about it to all of the other kids at the end of the day. Their favorite story was the one of Miss Van Dyke being bit on the hiney!!

1 comment:
Audie, this made me laugh!!! The sting on the butt was just priceless. Glad you're having a great time with those girls!
Post a Comment