Saturday, May 30, 2009

Celebrating a Birthday with the Help of Korean Culture

Today is my good friend and team-teacher, April's, birthday! Our sweet, Korean friend and co-worker, Silk, took us outside of the city to a neat, authentic Korean restaurant. It was nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and to spend some time with friends. I was in need of some relaxation and good company. I love these two girls/ladies and praise God that He's blessed me with such wonderful friends. They've both been a huge help since I arrived here in Korea.

Silk smiling after she successfully ordered a "feast" for us to enjoy. Notice we are sitting on the floor! We took our shoes off at the door. I think I need a pedicure. Not such a good thing to realize when you are barefooted and eating in a restaurant.

April crushing the sesame seeds.

April and I enjoying the experience.

Okay, I have issues with chop sticks! Sometimes they work with me and sometimes they work against me. I am not as chop stick savy when using metal ones, so they brought me some wooden ones, which were working fine. Then the waitress asks my friend Silk if I needed a fork, too. Well, they only had "baby" forks, so she presented me with this lovely Winnie the Pooh fork. No, I did not use it! However, I found it hilarious and photo worthy!

Noodle soup with fried tofu to start with. I hate tofu, but I actually liked the fried stuff in the soup. The bowl on the right is steamed egg or something. I did not try it!

Different kinds of kimchi (fermented cabbage, radishes, or greens), tofu, and sauces.

lettuce wraps and more kimchi

Silk preparing the bibimbop (rice and veggies) for us!

pork to go in the lettuce wraps with the fixin's

Korean pancakes (veggies and seafood inside of breaded stuff---almost like a potatoe patty)

bulgogi (Korean beef)

the patio outside where we enjoyed some coffee while we chatted

Another view; the owner was our photographer, and he said he knew the best views.

me and the birthday girl

me and Silk striking a typical Korean pose ;) We look like twins. She came to pick me up, and we were both wearing brown tops and blue jean bottoms!

No comments: