Last week I had the privilege of reading stories about persecuted Christians in different countries with my students. I used Voice of the Martyr's website for kids KidsofCourage.com. They have been very curious this year about the hardships and lack of religious freedom that fellow Christians face world-wide. We've also talked about the ways in which persecution manifests itself throughout the world. Often times, the word persecution is misunderstood or used interchangeably with killing and/or beating. We've learned this year that all Christians encounter persecution when they commit to obediently following Christ, but the levels, degrees, and forms differ.
My precious students have been so heart-broken and burdened for those in hostile or restricted areas. We've had the wonderful opportunity to pray for our brothers and sisters throughout the world. One of my students has an aunt, uncle, and cousins who are serving as missionaries in a closed, hostile middle eastern country. She gives us regular updates on their situation and the hardships that they face.
A few weeks ago, we were able to read a short, yet challenging, essay about the life and work of Corrie ten Boom. We watched the movie based on her life, The Hiding Place, in class this past week. My students were encouraged and motivated to live for and trust God more through the testimony of the ten Boom family. After the movie, I had them write brief paragraphs about what they learned from watching the movie. I have shared a few of their responses below.
"I learned love can affect so many people. Corrie's love made some people Christians, which was amazing. Corrie's example of love is so touching. God can do incredible things through people. It also teaches us not to hate people but love." ---M. Kim
"I learned that you should always trust God and not doubt. Corrie ten Boom was always trusting God and just waiting for HIM to save her. She was in a concentration camp which was really horrible. She didn't give up. I learned trusting God is vey important." ---J. Kim
"One thing that I learned from the movie is that we should help one another when one is in danger. When Corrie ten Boom helped the Jews hide from the Nazi soldiers, it showed she cared for different people. Even though it risked her own life to hide the Jews she did it anyway. I want to be more like Corrie because she shows the Christ-like character that we should show. I want to die knowing that I've helped people to come to know the Lord and help them physically, spiritually, and mentally." ---K. Kim
"In the movie, The Hiding Place, I learned that even though you are in tough times, God can make something good come out of all that. For instance, when Corrie went to the concentration camp, she was tortured. In the midst of all that, she taught all the women about the love of God and how Jesus came to die for everyone. She made a big impression on all the people in camp. I wish I could talk about God to everyone and follow God the way she did."--A. Nagasubramony
"I learned that no matter how difficult the problem is, God is with us. I was sad when everyone in Corrie's life died because she loved them so much. I learned that God will help us when we ask. I hope I will spread the word more often."---A. Hong
"What I learned from the movie is that even in the darkest moment of our lives, you can be glorifying Jesus (God). I also learned that Corrie ten Boom still told other people about Jesus when she was in the concentration camp. She was patient, obedient, and very loving woman. Her sister was also loving and kind. I learned to be patient and obedient to God from this movie."
---S. Yang
"Something that shocked me was that Corrie was able to get a Bible. She prayed that she could get through security. God opened a way for her to get through. She was able to walk right by them [Nazi guards]. God can do so many amazing things. One thing I learned from her example is that even in the darkest of times you should trust in God, and that you should never hate someone but love them and pray for them. Even though Corrie felt that she could kill them [the Nazis], she prayed for God to take the hatred out of her life. Everyone should follow her example." ---H. Parrish
Just reading their responses brings joy to my heart! It has been such a privilege and a blessing to be able to teach Bible this year. HIS word never returns void, and the shared experiences of our walks with Christ are powerful testimonies! It's so exciting to be able to watch my students "get it" concerning the things of Christ and the plan HE has for them.
Just for encouragement:
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; HE will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6
"For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment